Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Long overdue update


Wow, this time two months have gone by since posting.  I'm afraid that in a sense my life is so repetitive that some of the inspiration for writing has subsided from the beginning, when everything was very novel and surprising.  Nevertheless, a lot has happened since the last entry.  As for Aikido, the most significant event was the successful embutaikai (or demonstration) that we gave at the end of October.  At that demonstration, the Senshusei performed Tanto Soho and Tanto Dori; a total of 14 techniques involving response to an attack with a wooden dagger.  This drill was highly choreographed down to the last detail, and was executed with military precision.  It took a lot of painful practice to prepare for a demonstration that lasted about five minutes.  Here are some pictures:



Right now at the dojo we are preparing for our next test, which will be for shodan, or "first degree black belt".  Needless to say the training is difficult and the techniques are hard to execute properly.  I now recall with great fondness the luxury of being taught Aikido in the English language, and I look forward to enjoying that privilege again when this is all over!

Apart from training, I am fortunate to have been able to accumulate numerous English pupils whom I work with after practice most days of the week.  Recently, Hiromi, one of my students, invited me to visit the Senso-ji Temple and gardens at Asakusa:



No comments:

Post a Comment